10.20.2011

Review: Sophie Scholl- The final days

I have to admit that at the moment I have a strange fascination with watching historical foreign films (with subtitles, naturally) and the latest one really struck a chord with me, 'Sophie Scholl- Die letzten Tage', a biographical german film about the White Rose resistance movement in Nazi Germany.

Plot summary in under 20 words:
White Rose distributed anti-nazi propaganda, got caught and then all involved were executed after an unfair trial.

It really bothered me for many reasons:
a) She was only 21 when she was executed
b) She never once made excuses or took the escape routes offered, she remained loyal to her views
c) One of the other men who died, Christopher Probst, had a 4 week old daughter when he was executed
d) They were non violent
e) I don't know if I would be able to do the same, to put my life and my family's life on the line, even if it was for the goodness of humanity.

So I thought I would share with you a translation of her actual last words before she was executed- by guillotine, if you were wondering.




"How can we expect righteousness to prevail when there is hardly anyone willing to give himself up individually to a righteous cause. Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go, but what does my death matter, if through us thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?"



So remember, peace, love and faith will always prevail. Earth may rob my body but it'll never rob my soul. After death, what can they do?


Peace, Say :)

No comments: